Monday, April 21, 2014

Buying a baby ... Why didn't we think of that??

When I told my cousins that I was having a baby, my little cousin Adylinne said, "I want to see the baby," not being old enough to understand how pregnancy and birth work yet. At our family Easter egg hunt tonight, Adylinne came up to me to ask if I had my baby yet. "Nope," I said. "It's only this big." I held up my fingers in a circle about the size of a lemon. I told her that it still had to grow and wouldn't be here until almost Halloween, to which she replied "Wow, that's a long time!" Later, she came up with a brilliant solution to my long wait. "Charly (pronounced Carly), if your baby takes too long to get here," she told me, "you can just buy one." "Oh really? From where?" I asked. "From the baby store." She told me this in a matter-of-fact voice, as if it should have been obvious. "Then what would we do with the baby we already have?" She held up two fingers. "I'd have two babies?? That's a lot." "No it's not," she told me, totally serious. "Two is not very many." "It is when it comes to infants." I don't think I quite convinced Adylinne.

No comments:

Post a Comment